I am happy to announce the release of Log Insight 4.5. As always, this release has a ton of new features. Read on to learn more!
- General Enhancements
- Tons of new configuration APIs supported
- API to query alert execution and notification history
- Source field retained when using CFAPI event forwarding
- User alert history for aggregation query now includes count (just like in email)
- Hosts on the /admin/hosts page can now be exported
- Updated General and vSphere content pack
- VSAN and vROps content packs included out of the box
- Global time highlighting on Dashboards page
- Global legend highlighting on Dashboards page
- Separate options for description versus recommendation for user alerts
- Webhooks support basic auth in URL
- Directory glob support
- Ability to parse PRI and SD (STRUCTURED-DATA) syslog fields
- Support for Photon OS 1.0 revision 2 and newer
- tmp directory may not have enough room to support an upgrade
- Event forwarding over syslog from the Log Insight Agent over CFAPI without the complimentary fields option results in no STRUCTURED-DATA being sent
- Content Pack page works with Chrome
- Hosts expire after 3 months
- Trendline is no longer allowed with multiple functions
- Fix an invalid cluster configuration and allow Log Insight to start
- Fix an issue where ESXi reported a logging issue to Log Insight
- Inventory mapping is now case-insensitive (like the rest of LI)
- Properly migrate SSL certificate during upgrade
- Active Directory authentication is deprecated, but still supported — use VMware Identity Manager instead
- External load balancers usage is deprecated — use the integrated load balancer instead
- When forwarding events from a Log Insight instance to another Log Insight instance the source field will be what the original Log Insight instance saw instead of the original Log Insight instance
- Event forwarding over syslog from the Log Insight Agent over CFAPI without the complimentary fields option sends STRUCTURED-DATA as expected
- Trendlines are not allowed for multiple functions (only single)
How to Upgrade
- You must be running Log Insight 4.3 — upgrades must be sequential from every GA release.
- You must access the cluster master’s FQDN (not ILB VIP) and ensure you have access to ports 443 and 80.
- You go to the /admin/cluster page and follow the upgrade workflow.
VMware has done it again with another solid release of Log Insight. As always, it is recommended that you upgrade to the latest version, but be sure to read through the release notes before you do. Also, be sure to leave a comment and let me know how the upgrade went as well as what you think about the new features.
Note: Log Insight 2.5 went end of support on September 10, 2016. Now that Log Insight 4.0 is out, Log Insight 3.0 is on the clock for end of support — the official date is for Log Insight 3.0 remains 2017/09/10 and the date for Log Insight 3.6 moves to 2017/11/15. If you do plan to stick with Log Insight 3.x, the recommendation is to move to the latest 3.6.x version. You should really be planning for your 4.x upgrade at this time!
© 2017, Steve Flanders. All rights reserved.