The last time I talked about my fitness goals was back in 2017. With 2018 here, it is time to set some new goals. Read on to learn about my new goals!
Looking back at 2017, I set a fair number of fitness goals:
- Lose at least 10 pounds without losing PRs: Yes, I want to lose more weight, but not at the cost of muscle
- I actually lost 14 pounds in 2016, the goal is to drop at least another 10
- New PRs: 500 DL, 475 BS, 365 FS, 285 Clean & Jerk
- Competition: At least 3 competitions and at least once in an individual RX competition
- I am already signed up for two!
- Workout at least once every 3 days: This is harder than it sounds with home, work, travel, etc, but I feel it is very important. When I am home, I typically work out 4-5 days a week. On travel, I average 0-2 days a week.
- Get my diet in check: As I mentioned, I am on the RP diet. My goal is to stick to the RP diet. I can honestly say that I failed over the holiday break, but it is time to get back in track even when I am on travel. Arguably, fitness is 70% diet and 30% exercise — it is time I prioritize what is important.
- Step up my supplement game: I have talked about my supplements in the past, but I think it is time to take them to the next level (expect more on this in a future post).
- Work on my mobility at least 3x a week: I am not flexible. It impacts my Olympic lifts. I need to work on my mobility. 2017 is the year. I will be doing ROMWOD and from time-to-time joining my wife in Yoga.
So how did I do?
- Gained 10 pounds — to be fair, it was for a weightlifting competition and I am on a diet to lose the weight currently, however I did not make progress to my goal
- New PRs: Accomplished FS and C&J, did not attempt DL and did not make as much progress on BS
- Competition: Did two partners competitions
- Workout at least once every 3 days: Check!
- Get my diet in check: Ongoing, but check!
- Step up my supplement game: Check!
- Work on mobility: Ongoing, but check!
Overall, I did pretty well. The question is, what is next? Here are my current thoughts:
- Lose at least 12 pounds: I would like to get back to my previous weight at a minimum
- New PRs: 500+ DL, 475+ BS, 405 FS, 315+ C&J, 225 Snatch
- Work on Olympic lifts at least 3x a week: I have decided to focus more on strength than cardio
- Work on mobility at least 5x a week: Shoulders, hips, ankles specifically (to help my lifts)
- Work on posterior chain: Hamstring, glutes, back, shoulders (to help my lifts)
- Program my CNS: Heavy yolk, farmers carries, sandbox runs, and stones (to help my lifts)
- Competition: Register for a USAW event (since I am working on my lifts)
I feel like these additional goals compliment the ones I am most passionate about. I am looking forward to what 2018 brings!
© 2018 – 2017, Steve Flanders. All rights reserved.