- General Enhancements
- VMware Identity Manager (VIDM) support
- Target field (VIP support) for vROps integration
- Host table entries expire after 3 months
- Upgrade API supported
- VIDM API supported
- UI Enhancements
- User alert history
- Dashboard accordion
- Trendline option for line and area charts
- Percentage option for pie charts
- Agent Enhancements
- Agent auto-upgrade
- FIPS compliance
- Windows 2016 support
- Timestamp parser single digit day and month enhancement
- VIP and integration tags can be the same without impacting ingestion
- Setting domain controllers via the UI properly sets the KRB servers
- PLU licenses are now accurately reflected on the licensing page
- vROps launch in context checkbox is no longer node specific
No changes — the behavior between Log Insight 4.0 and Log Insight 4.3 is identical.
How to Upgrade
- You must be running Log Insight 4.0 — upgrades must be sequential from every GA release.
- You must access the cluster master’s FQDN (not ILB VIP) and ensure you have access to ports 443 and 80.
- You go to the /admin/cluster page and follow the upgrade workflow.
It is recommended that you perform some post-upgrade activities for this release depending on your configuration:
- If you configured Active Directory and set domain controllers (it is highly recommended that you manually set domain controllers) via the /admin/auth page (not via /internal/config), then it is recommended that you reset the domain controllers on the /admin/auth page. Go to /admin/auth, remove the domain controllers and hit save, add the domain controllers and hit save again.
- If you have configured a VIP on Log Insight and have configured vROps integration, then it is recommended that you go to the vROps integration page post-upgrade and confirm that the target field is set properly (i.e. to a VIP instead of the master node). If it is not, then remove the configuration, save, add the configuration with the proper target and save again.
VMware has done it again with another solid release of Log Insight. As always, it is recommended that you upgrade to the latest version, but be sure to read through the release notes before you do. Also, be sure to leave a comment and let me know how the upgrade went as well as what you think about the new features.
Note: Log Insight 2.5 went end of support on September 10, 2016. Now that Log Insight 4.0 is out, Log Insight 3.0 is on the clock for end of support — the official date is for Log Insight 3.0 remains 2017/09/10 and the date for Log Insight 3.6 moves to 2017/11/15. If you do plan to stick with Log Insight 3.x, the recommendation is to move to the latest 3.6.x version.
© 2017, Steve Flanders. All rights reserved.