As mentioned in my last post, Log Insight 3.3.2 allows for NSX 6.2.2 and later license keys to be added. This means if you own NSX you get Log Insight for free! Read on to learn more!
VMware has done it again — if you own NSX then you get Log Insight for free! This is similar to the Log Insight for vCenter edition, but there are some differences:
- Log Insight for NSX is the full (i.e. “Standard”) edition of Log Insight
- Log Insight for NSX ONLY allows use of the vSphere and NSX-v content packs (EULA enforced)
This means unlike Log Insight for vCenter, you can use every Log Insight feature available. The catch is, the NSX license is only good for vSphere and NSX events and as such just for the vSphere and NSX-v content packs (unlike Log Insight for vCenter). Now as I am sure you know, Log Insight only comes with the vSphere content pack so you must install the NSX-v content pack from either the in-product marketplace or VMware Solution Exchange. You can technically install any content pack you want, however the EULA states that ONLY vSphere and NSX-v events as well as content packs are allowed with Log Insight for NSX. So what if you want to collect and analyze non-vSphere and non-NSX events? You can purchase a Log Insight standard license.
How does NSX license conversion work? It is based on the license type:
- NSX Standard, Advanced & Enterprise: 1 Log Insight Standard CPU for every NSX CPU
- NSX Term Standard, Advanced & Enterprise: 1 Log Insight Standard CPU for every NSX Term CPU, but expires on date in license
- NSX for Desktop Advanced & Enterprise: 1 Log Insight Standard CPU for every 50 CCU of NSX Desktop
Also note that as long as you are running at least NSX 6.1.x and you are entitled to NSX 6.2.3 then you can license Log Insight 3.3.2 — even if you have not upgraded to NSX 6.2.3 yet. This is different from with vCloud Suite and vRealize Suite where you must upgrade to take advantage of the free opportunity. (Also note the NSX-v content pack supports versions 6.1.x and 6.2.x.)
One final thing to note, you can take advantage of multiple free opportunities at the same time, but the order of operations is important:
- Deploy Log Insight and add a vCenter Server license key, get 25 FREE OSI of limited Log Insight
- Must be the first key — must be before the evaluation key
- Only one vCenter Server key allowed per Log Insight instance (standalone or clustered)
- Add a NSX license key, get X FREE CPU (based on conversion information above) of standard Log Insight
- Add another NSX key (optional), get X FREE CPU (based on conversion information above) of standard Log Insight
- Purchase and add a standard license key (optional), get X CPU or OSI (depending on license purchased) of standard Log Insight
© 2016, Steve Flanders. All rights reserved.