Back in early 2015 I talked about my supplement regimen. As part of my goals for 2017, I stated I would be stepping up my supplement regimen. In this post, I would like to talk about the changes. Read on to learn more!
I am not a doctor. You may not agree with my supplement choices. This is more information about what I take, when I take it, and why. More warning can be found in my 2015 post. Please read this post before continuing as it contains a lot of valuable and relevant information.
Here is what I took in 2015:
- Protein – typically daily on non-workout days and twice daily on workout days
- SFH Pure on non-workout days
- SFH Recovery on workout days
- Creatine – typically twice during workout days
- Included in SFH Recovery
- Omega 3 – every day
- Nordic Naturals Omega 3-6-9
Here is what I take today:
- Protein – 2 servings daily on non-workout days and 3+ servings on workout days
- Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey 2 servings on workout days
- Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Casein 1.5 servings on workout days
- Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Casein 2 servings on non-workout days
- Note: Protein includes BCAAs and Glutamine
- Creatine – 1 serving daily (Optimum Nutrition Micronized Creatine Powder)
- HMB – 1 serving daily (Pure Supplements HMB)
- Omega 3 – 2 servings twice daily
- Carbs – 1.5 servings daily on workout days (Vitargo S2)
- CoQ10 – 1 serving twice daily
- D3 vitamin (5000 IU) – 3 servings once daily
- Green Coffee Bean Extract – 1 servings daily
- Beta Alanine – 2x servings on workout days (Optimum Nutrition Beta Alanine)
- ZMA – 1 serving daily (Optimum Nutrition ZMA)
- Multi-vitamin – 1 serving daily
Why the changes?
Let me walk through each of the additions:
- HMB – not a must, but good supplement when used with creatine
- Carbs – this is primarily because the RP diet requires workout carbs. A side effect of this I noticed is that I no longer yawn at the gym. Whether you take carbs or not depends on your dietary goals.
- D3 – not a must, but shown to improve things such an inflammation and mood
- Green Coffee Bean Extract — my wife started taking it, not a must, but good for weight loss
- Beta Alanine – it is important to have a constant amount in the system at all times so taking later in the day, separate from pre-workout is important
- ZMA – Zinc is important for men’s health, magnesium help athletics and is commonly laking in diet intake, B vitamins provide energy and ZMA helps with sleep/recovery
There is actually a lot of research available on why most of these supplements should be taken — be sure to check some of it out!
When I take
- Green Coffee Bean Extract
- Before workout (all mixed together)
- Whey Protein
- After workout
- Whey Protein
- Before bed
- Casein Protein
- Beta alaine
So what are the results for me?
- I am losing weight
- I am PRing lifts
- I am sleeping better
- I feel better (throughout the day and during workouts)
© 2017, Steve Flanders. All rights reserved.